Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_122930197

what’s wrong with my dioscorea elephantipes

Ms houhouland
5 years ago
Hello, I didn’t water my small D.elephantipes for 3 weeks. When I came home , its caudex shrink, wrinkle and get soft. And I found some pale pink bugs on it . The shape looks like mealy bugs . About 1mm large . When I tried to kill it with my nails , red stuff will comes out from the body. The leaves are still green and there is tiny new leaf is growing on stem as well. I attached some pictures here. Does anyone know what’s wrong with my plant? Thanks in advance guys .

Comments (22)

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    5 years ago

Where are you located?

I have one but mine is dormant right now and it's very young so the caudex is still buried. Even when dormant, I give about a tablespoon of water every 10 - 14 days. While actively growing, I water about once a week as I water all of my cacti & succulents - thoroughly until water is running out of the drainage hole.

Also, the medium I have is more inorganic. About 40/60 cactus & succulent mix/pumice. The caudex is not buried in that but covered with a top dressing of gravel.

Why have you not watered?

• Ms houhouland
    Original Author
    5 years ago

my plant is at london. I think I may not have the correct soil mix. when I bought it. it is already root bound. and the soil the root grasp are mostly organic material.

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

I can't tell if the caudex is rotten or dried out from over watering. The pale pink bugs kind of sound like aphid larvae. Are they worm like or do they have legs? Do you see foliage damage?

5 years ago

isde, you think over watered...? So rotted & dried out then?

• Ms houhouland
    Original Author
    5 years ago

:( I do not know what to do with it. If I should keep it or cut the stem out and grow root of it. the pale pink bug I saw really looks like a mealy bug. they kinda looks like a tiny tooth brush shape. I don't see foliage damage. but I see the elephantipes caudex has a cut open and some white stuff come out from it. I don't know if they bug did it. other than that. I don't see any damange.

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    5 years ago

what do the roots look like?

5 years ago

When you say white stuff is it solid like the interior of the caudex showing through the cut? Or is it mushy & oozing?

Ms houhouland thanked SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
  • Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

How sad:(

Does look like a mealy bug. There are so many different Genus’, would not surprise if there were pink meallies out there. Regardless it isn’t good.

I think you may need to dig it up to check the roots. The way the caudex is sounding I have a feeling something is wrong below the soil. It shouldn’t be soft. My D. elephantipes is about the same size as yours. I would guess yours is no older than 1.5-2 years old, and when actively growing at it’s small size 3 weeks is long time to go without a drink.

When a plant is dehydrated it is much more susceptible to mealy bugs.

Ms houhouland thanked Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
  • Ms houhouland
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That’s how the root looks like. I am not sure that’s rotten. So, the caudex is rotten but the root is not ?
  • Gabby C (FL 9A)
    5 years ago

I think it's thirsty... how much of those roots pull away when you tug gently? I'd clean it up (remove the dead roots) and plant it, and uh water.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have the same question about the roots Gabby. The second pic the roots look pretty dry and not all that lively, but who knows;).

I had a D. mexicana that I killed, my guess not enough water during growth. It was small, the roots just came off as I gently went through them. These new pics the plant doesn’t look as bad. In the first pics the Dioscorea looked worse. I was thinking the plant had root mealybugs or the roots had just become completely desiccated.

The only thing you can do is repot and water in a couple days. The vine probably should have been left on because I think that helps with caudex growth. Goodluck:). Keep us updated regardless of the outcome because we can all learn from your experience.

• s g
    5 years ago

If it is not soft and mushy (you didn't answer that question) then it may be fine, just dehydrated. I keep my young plants mostly moist rather than leaving them dry for weeks. When you repot it, pot it deeper than you show in the original photos as part of the root system appears to be exposed. Advice that I follow means the caudex is slowly exposed more as you repot it over the first 5 years, not all at once like your one appears to be.

• Ms houhouland
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The caudex is soft
    5 years ago

Soft and mushy or rubbery?

Mushy could mean rot while rubbery could mean dehydrated.

• Ms houhouland
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    More of rubbery
  • stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    4 years ago

It rotted -right? Too much of a peaty/organic mix in a cool low light situation.

• Ms houhouland
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    No, it was underwater. After I gave it a drink and wait a few days it back to normal.
    4 years ago

Ms houhouland, it looks like this thread was revived after roughly 8 months. How is your little Dioscorea elephantipes doing? Did it survive? If so, may we see a pic or 2, please?

• Ms houhouland
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I gave it away online and just keep another bigger one now.
  • Hernan Morales
    4 years ago

Hi my dioscorea feels squishy is that normal?

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Can you take a pic?

No it’s not normal for it to feel squishy, but it also could be thirsty. When they’re in active growth they need regular watering. As soon as the mix is dry they’ll need a drink. Especially if it is a small one like in the OP’s pics.