Razer Exactmat vs. Razer Mantis vs. Steelpad QCK

The contenders:

Razer Mantis – www.razerzone.com
Razer Exactmat – www.razerzone.com
Steelpad QCK – Respawn

Check out the attachments for images and relative sizes.

Size:

The Mantis is the largest of all 3 pads here. And it really is huge. So huge in fact that I am currently considering purchasing a new computer table! XXL is small to describe it. So if you like your games at low sensitivity, rest assured, you will never run out of space when doing those quick 180s.

Next in size comes the Steelpad QCK. If you feel that the Mantis is way too huge for your liking, or if space is a limiting constraint, then this should fit the bill. Also the QCK happens to be the only surface here that is available in 3 different sizes, a QCK mini, which is the size of a regular mouse pad, the QCK reviewed here, and the QCK+, which is about the size of the Mantis.

The Exactmat is smallest of all 3 here, but is still larger than your average mouse pad. Also this is a dual sided mouse pad, with one side labeled Speed, and the other Control. The Speed side, as the name suggests, is low friction smooth surface for high sensitivity players, and the Control side is the high friction rougher surface for low sensitivity players. As this mouse pad is not very big, it includes the thoughtful touch of having rubber mountings on all 4 corners of the pad to prevent the mouse from completely sliding off the pad. This may not be evident in the screenshots, pardon my limited photography skills and the rather average camera on the Motorola Razr V3i.

Pricing and Availability

The Mantis and Exactmat are available online at www.razerzone.com, priced at US$ 25 and US$ 30 respectively. You will be charged an additional US$10 for shipping. if the total value of the order is over US$100, shipping is free. All Indian Credit Cards are accepted, and warranty is valid back home, though you will be required to ship the product to Singapore at your own cost. However, I am unaware of any body requiring to get a mouse pad replaced under warranty!

The Steelpad has the major advantage of being available locally. It is available here in India for about Rs. 600. The QCKlite is also available for Rs. 450 and QCK+ for Rs. 900. TE’s very own M3gaDeath is the authorized importer of these in India. Check out Respawn.

The Comparison

Being a dual sided mouse pad, the Exactmat has an advantage over both the other competitors. However that cannot prevent it from being ranked last in this comparison. Its below average size being the major letdown. Also after using both the Copperhead and Diamondback on the Exactmat, I can safely say that the Exactmat is not really suitable for use with the Coppy. Though there was not one instance of the mouse skipping, after using the Coppy on the Mantis, it is evident that the Exactmat isn’t as smooth as it should be. This mouse pad was designed with the Diamondback in mind, and it shows. Since I am currently using a Coppy, this mouse pad is the 2nd runner up here. Cleaning the Exactmat isn’t very convenient either, and you will need to clean the small bumps of dust that keep accumulating on its surface every 2 weeks.

The QCK here is the smoothest of the lot. So smooth in fact, that its smoothness is its ultimate shortcoming, this is why it’s the first runner up. More on that later. Being available in 3 sizes, there is one available for everyone’s liking. And at just 700 bux, it is the best VFM product here. However, VFM has rarely affected the quest for the ultimate product.

And that ultimate product is the Mantis. Made by Everglide to Razer’s specifications, it uses the same FiberTek surface as the Everglide Titan. As I said earlier, the QCK’s smoothness is its shortcoming. It is so smooth that a certain amount of feel is lacking. While the Mantis’ surface is equally smooth, the right amount of foaming under the surface permits it just the right amount of friction, and the all important feel.

Final Words

Make no mistake, the QCK is an excellent product, and has a lot going for it. It is an excellent everyday mouse pad for the casual gamer, and happens to be the only one you don’t need a Credit card for. Excellent product if you are a RPG gamer, bundle this with a Razer Krait and it’s all you need. However if you play FPS’ for any length of time on a daily basis, you will feel the need for something better. And Razer has something that fits the bill perfectly. Bundle a Mantis with a Razer Copperhead and feel the perfectionist inside you smiling.

Attachments

• 07-07-06_1634.jpg
    07-07-06_1634.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 294
  • 07-07-06_1641.jpg
    07-07-06_1641.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 23-07-06_2239.jpg
    23-07-06_2239.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 23-07-06_2240.jpg
    23-07-06_2240.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 257
Mantis+Copperhead=Ownz everything.

From being a n00b to a mediocre player in just 2 weeks , though others will have to vouch for that :D.As said by sahil rightly Mantis+CH is the ultimate combination.

Sahil, Same pinch :D.Reps!!

i'm sorry but i kinda disagree with the conclusion. the qck is good enough for fps games too. there are so many well known pro gamers using it and not just because of endorsements. if you like more friction, get the qck. if you like something smoother, mantis is good. it all boils down to your sensitivity and personal preference.

Hmm good review :) i cant review bout the other pads i have, but i guess i can tell some frenz to give them to ya for a day or 2 and you can post sum comments on em too :) you should really try the 4s, S&S and the 5L(endorsed by the top most clan lot) :)

Nikhil said:
Which pad are you using anyway ??

I upgraded from Exactmat to Mantis. Exactmat is now sold, and QCK I borrowed from my cousin for the review.

Sandy said:
but i do think that the mantis is too big
I did mention Im getting a new table dint I :p. Neway you could still cut it with a pair of scissors lol, its a cloth pad after all.

M3gadeath said:
Hmm good review i cant review bout the other pads i have, but i guess i can tell some frenz to give them to ya for a day or 2 and you can post sum comments on em too you should really try the 4s, S&S and the 5L(endorsed by the top most clan lot)

Bring em over at the next meet :p. Or maybe you can send em over with Varun and I'll review em all :)

Back