IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Petrea volubilis vine

annafl

Petrea volubilis, the Queen's wreath vine presently blooming by the back gate.  This is my favorite vine.  Very well-behaved and flushes several times during the warm season.  Honeybees adore it!

DSC_1941 2.JPG

DSC_1944.JPG

• Upvote 5

They are blooming in Guatemala as well. There is a white form also.

One of my favorites too.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Yes, Scott, I have seen the white one, but I'm not sure it blooms with such vigor.  Maybe it's just the ones I've seen?  Anyway, I just love the purple/lavender one.  Blooms vigorously and reliably every year.  Great, well-behaved vine.

• Upvote 1

Yes the white one has less vigor. I have seen the two planted together with the resulting purple and white flowers. 

• Upvote 1

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

This is the white one . It is a little feeble looking compared to the purple one.

IMG_0387.thumb.jpg.75e29d0bdd8c72c16611f

• Upvote 1

What a fabulous display of color! :wub:  Love the delicate flowers.  Is this the one with the sandpapery leaves?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

14 hours ago, scottgt said:

This is the white one . It is a little feeble looking compared to the purple one.

IMG_0387.thumb.jpg.75e29d0bdd8c72c16611f

It's soo pretty!  So pristine with the white flowers!  Thanks.

13 hours ago, Kim said:

What a fabulous display of color! :wub:  Love the delicate flowers.  Is this the one with the sandpapery leaves?

Yes, Kim, I think some call it the Sandpaper vine.  It's quite uninspiring when not in bloom, but worth it when it does!

I was surprised to see that this has some cold hardiness according to San Marcos Grower's website. I just bought a cutting and am going to try it outside here.

• Upvote 1

I love this plant. Have had mine for probably 20 years. It will freeze down to the ground on extremely cold winters, lets say into the 20s. Mine as long as it has heat and plenty of water it will continue blooming thruout the year. I have seedlings coming out everywhere.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, necturus said:

I was surprised to see that this has some cold hardiness according to San Marcos Grower's website. I just bought a cutting and am going to try it outside here.

It's actually evergreen here in Sarasota.  I don't remember it ever defoliating in the last 11 years, but as you can see, it's on a very protected south facing wall.  The lows in this garden have been 27-28.  Good luck!

14 hours ago, willo68 said:

I love this plant. Have had mine for probably 20 years. It will freeze down to the ground on extremely cold winters, lets say into the 20s. Mine as long as it has heat and plenty of water it will continue blooming thruout the year. I have seedlings coming out everywhere.

I have an acquaintance in Orlando that also has this and it grows well for her also.  Tough little plant.  Glad to hear of your experience.