Enermax EG365P-VE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enermax EG365P-VE

with pce-tur and pce-tul caps this psu is grossly overpriced for the quality of the components.
    nevertheless it served me well for over 6 years(and is still in working order), probably because 2 fan design, which in itself is silly today: why not just put one bigger fan?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by i4004; 03-08-2008, 01:34 PM.

Re: Enermax EG365P-VE

Originally posted by i4004
    with pce-tur and pce-tul caps this psu is grossly overpriced for the quality of the components.
    If this Enermax is overpriced, then LC Power ones are a real theft: they cost roughly the same (35-40 euro, about $50-55) while employing lower grade components.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

i payed 100€ for it back in the 2001. in that time i don't think 350was bottom of the barrel. paradoxically higher wattage came later. pcs now consume much more power (yes, they're many times more powerfull, but still..).

my philosophy is different nowdays: i'll rather buy few fortrons and keep an eye on them (swap them every 6months or every year and thoroughly inspect one that was taken out).

something is rather annoying when it comes to psus old and new: why are they not putting dc regulation ics that would prevent overvoltage from appearing on output?
      because regulators for such big currents don't exist or are too expensive(?).

i would really like to see some sort of added safety on output, not just relying on pwm ic. anybody knows of something that could be used there but not movs(?), as they don't last long and are usually made for too high voltages.

perhaps something along these lines
      http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...t/tps2400.html
      http://www.linear.com/pc/productDeta...2,C1029,P38400

even as a standalone device that attaches to output connectors(prior ot them being plugged into mobo) it would be nice.
      with such device you could even be safe with crappiest chinese psus...hehe...

Comment

LC-Powwr sells very cheap here, 550w for 35€ is very different from Enermax, starting at 50€.
        An Corsair VX420 will cost about 60€ adn a Seasonic S12 330 goes for 50€.
        This sets the price / quality point at the moment.

Any way, i think the silly dual fan design, which releases the vast amount of the hot air back into the tower, is what left the PCE-tur capacitors to survive that long.
        But the problem with this is the bad case ventilation and therefore higher ambient temperature and thus more noise.

I have recapped two of the older designs, one went back into operation, the other will still shut down under heavy load (e.g. a skt. A system with Athlon Xp ).

For older 3.3v and 5v based systems, the EG365FMA is still a very good psu, apart from the silly cooling solution and the capacitors.
        I modded my recapped EG365FMA with a 120mm fan and case from a death POS PSU, and now it is a very nice working horse.

Comment

Linear voltage regulator are to inefficient at the usual power levels in ATX PSU`s.
          If a PSU goes foo.bar it does generate a over voltage.
          I think som Transil diodes are the easiest way to go, and i think they are reliable.
          Put a fairly high ampere fuse in series and your device e.g. your HDD is safe, as long as the mainboard shorts out the interface over voltage.

But this would not prevent a death system due to high ripple. Another way is the crowbar circuit, wich does simply the same thing but it can be set for a current limit.

Comment

5v stby section is not easilly visible in above images, so here it is
            http://picasaweb.google.hr/i4004b3/E...55vStbySection

it's 2 transistor design with feedback via optocoupler.
            not as good as tinyswitch designs, but not as bad as self oscillating crap in mobo destroyers...
            also some valuable black enermax goo there(on that big white resistor and blue cap), it seems..huh...

i think i'll put this psu back in service, instead of chieftec that's eating backups
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5628

let's see can it do few more years...

Comment

My EG365FMA already has a tiny switcher, but the VE`s are certainly the older design.
              Any way, from what i know, the design must be solid & save, at least i haven`t heard about burned up boards by Enermax PSU`s.

Comment

psu power connector has 4 pins less than one on mobo so it won't be used after all.

Comment

Hi folks,

I know this is an old thread, however...
                  I just have the exact same PSU in my hands (eg465-VE).
                  Symptom: turn on, very short power surge on mains....quite. no 5v standby. no DC 300V, fuse OK.

just wonder,...has anybody a schematic of eg465 ?
                  thanks!

Comment

need eg465 schematic please

Comment

Working...
                    X